About Coin Collecting
Order & Shipping
American Numismatic Association
The American Numismatic Association is located at 818 North Cascade Avenue, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903-3279. Founded in 1891, the Association received a Federal Charter by the United States Congress in 1912 and had it renewed in perpetuity in 1962. The ANA maintains the distinction of being one of the very few organizations in the United States to operate under a Federal charter.
The purpose of the organization, as stated in its Charter, is to advance and promote the study of coins, paper money, tokens, medals and related numismatic items as a means of recording world history, art, economic development and social changes, and to promote greater popular interest in the field of numismatics.
Today, with about 28,000 members, the nonprofit, educational group is the largest numismatic organization of its kind in the world. It is supported entirely by membership dues, gifts and the sale of its publications and services.
The ANA was formed to advance the knowledge of numismatics along educational, historical and scientific lines, as well as enhance interest in the hobby. To further this purpose, the organization offers numerous services and programs, including a monthly journal, The Numismatist.
- The Numismatist. The hobby's premier journal is included with your membership. Each monthly issue includes three or four feature articles, association news and columns by some of the hobbies foremost authorities, such David Sear, Q. David Bowers, Ken Bressett and more. Advertising is accepted only from member dealers who support the ANA's code of ethics. All members, except Associates, receive this publication.
- The ANA Library. ANA Members can "borrow the book before they buy the coin." Over 40,000 books, auction catalogs, videos, and slide sets in the world largest numismatic lending library are available to members, just for the price of postage. Individualized in-depth research services are also available.
- Educational Opportunities. From our famous Summer seminar to our traveling grading seminars, to our home-study courses, to Numismatic Theatre presentation at ANA conventions, the ANA provides the knowledge you need to collect with confidence.
- Mediation Service. The ANA assists members in resolving disputes arising from unsatisfactory coin transactions. ANA members and dealers must agree to abide by the ANA Code of Ethics. Violating the code of ethics can lead to expulsion from the ANA.
- Collection Insurance. Members can insure their entire collection at low group rates. Other group insurance plans include: Catastrophic Major Medical, Term Life, Long Term Care, Major Medical, Short Term Major Medical, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Hospital Indemnity & Cancer.
- MoneyMarket Catalog. Books and hobby supplies, usually with substantial member discounts, are available through the MoneyMarket catalog.
- ANAAB. Staff of experts are available to assist you with a variety of numismatic services. The ANA Association Authentication Bureau (ANAAB) provides an unbiased opinions on authenticity of your numismatic items.
- Reward Program. The ANA will pay up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of persons committing crimes against ANA members.
- Camaraderie and referrals. The ANA Club listings can put you in touch with local, regional and specialty clubs that provide the personal support and camaraderie that makes collecting such a rewarding hobby. The ANA MarketPlace provides member dealers with free listings for their numismatic businesses.
- Young Numismatist Programs. Developed especially for the beginning collector, the Ancient Coin Project allows YNs to earn ancient coins. The YN auction allows young collectors to buy coins using "money" earned by participating the hobby. First Strike is a semi-annual supplement to The Numismatist especially for the beginning collector. Scholarships to the Summer conference are just one the many awards YNs can receive by being involved in numismatics.
What Would You Like To Know About?
- How To Start A Coin Collection
- Care & Handling
- Grading U.S. Coinage
- How To Price Coins?
- Tools Of The Trade
- How To Select Magnifiers
- American Numismatic Association
- Investing In Coins
- Dictionary of Numismatic Terms